Provincial Remainder Notes

Banknote issues preceding the Irish Government issues. Joint Stock Banks. Private Banks.
billyf1
Good
Good

Provincial Remainder Notes

Post by billyf1 » 27 Jan 2019 01:10

Hey guys, picked up these notes:

Would anyone have more information (how many are printed), rarity, etc and values on these notes.

Not in PMI.
Thanks!

Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Re: Provincial Remainder Notes

Post by Mac » 27 Jan 2019 17:31

These are quite common. A quantity of them turned up a few years ago, and they are readily available currently. It is a good way to get an example of the notes in good grade, as the issued £1 note is quite a scarce Type, and is rarely seen in VF or better.

The remainders turn up both with and without serial numbers, and there are also partially printed examples.

The £5 denomination is not known as an issued note, so the cancelled remainder is the only way to obtain an example of the note.
There is also a rare £5 proof dated 1920 recorded, pictured; and a £50 note. Other denominations may also turn up.

The £1 notes as issued notes are reasonably common in low grades, though still scarcer than the £1 remainder notes.

They are listed in the SCWPM, 16th edition.

I have seen them selling on eBay for between £45 and £100 (actual sale rather than just offer price), they tend to not sell if offered at a higher price. There appears to be no difference in value currently between the £1 and £5, though in time the £5 may fetch a higher price.

billyf1
Good
Good

Post by billyf1 » 27 Jan 2019 20:46

Thanks Mac,

i did pay a bit more than that, but being graded that's what happens I guess.

I figured a good few were out there alright.
They're nice notes and a great conversation piece also.

DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC » 28 Jan 2019 20:12

These are really nice notes and unusual to obtain examples from the 1920's in such high grade :)