So what do we collect then?

Anything not related to Irish paper money. Other Banknotes • Coins • Medals • General Stuff
The Governor
Rúnaí • Moderator
Rúnaí • Moderator

So what do we collect then?

Post by The Governor »

I collect world notes in general, and Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland in detail.
There are a lot of parallels between Irish and Scottish notes. The Euro was not good for my collecting interests, as it brought and end to Irish notes.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Re: So what do we collect then?

Post by Series B notes »

Yes, it's like the Euro was designed to be as uncollectable as possible!
gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda »

Euro notes are actually pretty annoying from a collecting standpoint anyway... the ECB certainly didn't have collectors in mind when they came up with them! Or maybe it's just that we're just spoiled for variety as collectors of Irish notes? :)

No print dates (just the year of the series I think? Open to correction on that one), no consecutive serial numbers (sequential note serial numbers differ by 9 due to the checksum calculation system used) no interesting variations (so far anyway) like fractional prefixes, overprint codes or the sterling promise (though to be fair, that one's pretty unique). The only variety really is the country serial prefix and ECB governor signature (there is also the printing code which indicates the plate and the note's location on
that plate, but that's kind of uninteresting in my opinion). Even the bloody pictures on the notes are boring... architecture styles - yawn! Though again to be fair I suppose they do need to have a pan-European theme, but it seems to me like with a bit more imagination they could have come up with something more interesting. The picture of Europa watermark also looks pretty unappealing and like it was drawn by a 3 year old.

All of that said, and to my dismay, I do still collect the the Irish serial prefix notes - more so just because they're Irish rather than that they're an interesting series of notes.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

I actually am much more knowledgeable about world notes than Irish ones, and I have come to this conclusion: Want variety? Try German paper money! So many notes in so many denominations were issued, it's like a free-for-all on eBay! No seriously, it should be checked out. It's quite lucrative.

Also, here in Canada, we have money printed on plastic! Much more interesting than your average boring cotton euro note!
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

I collect Irish notes of all eras, and Irish and English Private banks.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

Actually, I have old notes from all around the Eurozone, and some of them are much more attractive than some Irish banknotes, surprisingly! Just saying......
The Governor
Rúnaí • Moderator
Rúnaí • Moderator

Post by The Governor »

Yes. There are lots of attractive notes from other European countries looking for space in our albums.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

My collecting interests are Irish banknotes, from the multibranch issues of the Joint Stock Banks to the modern issues 1928-2001.
Lavery notes are my favourite.
I also collect world notes, though not in an orgsnised manner.