Buying and Selling Old Irish Banknotes

General Topics on Irish banknotes • Shows • Auctions • Prices
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Buying and Selling Old Irish Banknotes

Post by Mac »

I am always interested in buying old Irish notes, both for my own collection and to resell. I occasionally have Irish bank notes for sale through my mail order list.

I am happy to give valuations of old Irish bank notes free of charge whether or not they may be for sale. Do feel free to email me, or to post on the valuations requests thread. There is also background information on recent auction sales and values on the forum.

Before selling your old notes, you are always best advised to get several quotes, and estimates of their value. You may decide that you prefer to put your old notes into an auction, or sell them on-line. Be aware of the fees that are charged for these services.

If you are valuing them yourself using a catalogue, or on-line resource, then you should become familiar with grading the condition of the notes. A general guide to banknote grading is also on the main web site, using old Irish Ten shilling notes as examples.

Some old Irish notes are very valuable, such as those dated 1928, or some of the war code notes (1940–1944); and some series are generally of significant value, such as the Ploughman notes. Current valuations for Ploughman notes are on this forum. Some of the rarer Irish notes are very valuable.