Irish Papermoney.com Changelog. Version 1.2.1 to v2.3.0 SLEP upgrade

Website Chengelog Archives
Details on Technical Upgrades, Content Updates, and New Additions to irishpapermoney.com

Forum Technical Issues
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Re: Irish Papermoney.com Changelog. Version 1.2.1 to v2.0.0 SLEP upgrade

Post by Mac »

Bugs, bugs, bugs!
I've been fixing minor bugs, most so minor that they are not noticeable at all.
Anyway, some more proper upgrades will be implemented soon.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

06.11.15 • Added a page to the History section with A brief history of the Irish joint Stock banks of note issue.
This was originally a storage page for the bank histories which are used in various places throughout the web site. I thought it appropriate to add as a single list in the History section.

And still fixing bugs!
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Links, links, links.

Keeping them up to date can be a pain! The web is like a beach of fine grade sand, everything moving changing, being added to and removed from.

Dead and altered links are being fixed. Some of the British Museum pages have been deleted :shock:, so I will have to create my own version of some background info from there!

EDIT:
Btw, the website I am using to check the links is wc3linkchecker. It does a good job, free :)
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

26.02.16 • Updated the main external links page with links to all sites referenced on this web site, plus other interesting external web sites.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Work has started on the integration of the B Series banknotes view by date section.

All the construction work, scanning, image preparation, etc was done years ago! Thus, only the actual pages need to be prepared. this shouldn't take too long to complete.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

B Series view by date and C Series view by date sections added, but minus some images as they weren't ready for upload! I'll add these in a couple of weeks' time.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

A few days ago a friend of mine pointed out the modernity and convenience of consuming data by means of RSS-like data feeds. As we aim to be modern around here, I have duly added a few strategic RSS Feed icons to some of the site main pages pointing towards the Irish Paper Money Data Feed :)
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Added remaining missing images of B Series notes, plus replacement notes—about a hundred notes in all.

All known replacement dates are now included.
Given that a previously unrecorded date among the £10 notes was reported a few weeks ago, there might be other dates waiting to be recorded!
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

View by Date sections now all fully updated, with an image of each date of every recorded Irish banknote from 1928 to 2001 :)

Remaining missing C Series images added today, plus replacement notes.

Missing Lavery and Ploughman notes will be added as they turn up, as will missing replacement notes.
Quite a few of the Lavery notes have appeared out of the woodwork within the past year, so the project is going quite well.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Dead links, dead links, dead links.
It is very annoying when a web site moves it's pages around, so as to break incoming links. Museums and government web sites are the worst for it, in my experience. Their designers don't seem to appreciate that other sites might actually want to link to the information they provide :( I'll just delete them and find some alternative. I always save a local copy of anything really useful, can't assume that it will be there next time you go looking!

There are a few other newly dead links on the site—I'll wait a while to see if the web sites reappear before discarding them and finding alternatives. Owners probably just forgot to pay their maintenance fees.

I'm using deadlinkchecker this time—another good resource.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

It's holiday time, and that means no numismatic work gets done!
Now that we are back from holiday it is time to add a few more bits to our web site.

A new section on 'Design Variations' will be added shortly. Chunk One of it is nearly complete. Again, this is a section which has been half done for a while, and has just been stuck in a pool of, er, inertia.

The first chunk will deal with Mulberry notes and the 01X, 02X prefix £1 notes.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

New section switched on!
Variations in Irish Banknotes includes a section on the Mulberry Variety, and on the 01X and 02X prefix £1 notes, dated 11.3.63. It will be added to on an on-going basis, with more pictures and further variations.

Also included is the Design 2 £1 note variety (Lavery notes dated 1959–1960), which needs more pictures and detail;
and the 1958 Emerald Green £1 note variety—I am not sure how well the emerald Green looks on a computer monitor.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Added a pic of a 1929 National Bank £20 note to the picture gallery in the Northern Ireland section.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Work has started on upgrading the Old Notes section. Much of this section dates from the modem days, with the images being as light as possible, and pages made short to facilitate loading. Anyway, that's all behind us now, and an upgrade is overdue.

Added several new images to the Bank of Ireland Old Notes section, Series F and Series G (1918–1921) completing the section by known notes. The additions include several very rare notes: £5, 1919 Baskin; £5, 1919, Fleming; £10 1920, Fleming. Whilst the Five Pounds, 1919, Fleming signature was a newly discovered Type in 2016, the others have been known about for decades.

The number of pages in the image galleries has been reduced to one per Type.

I will soon add a new section for reduced size notes by date, as it would be a good challenge to record an image of every date, just 143 of them, and most have been recorded already.

EDIT 18.01.17
Progress has been speedy on the Date gallery of £1 notes, and it should be live in a few days' time.

EDIT: 27.01.17
Got sidetracked. I updated the Ballykinlar Token page of the web site instead with new, bigger better pics.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Update on completion levels of site upgrade.
Phase One: 100% complete.
Phase Two: 100% complete.
Phase Three: 50.5% complete.
Phase Four: 0% complete

A rolling upgrade of the web site is a bit like painting a long bridge—by the time you've reached the end, it's time to start again at the beginning!
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Irishpapermoney.com has just gone to version 2.1.0.
This is a major back-end upgrade to make the entire website more googlable (if that's a word). Actually, the entire structure of the website has been rearranged, and most primary and secondary pages have been renamed. This will cause most bookmarked pages and current google links to fail. Google should be able to re-index the site shortly.

There are also major additions to the Old Banknotes section: Bank of Ireland 1918-1921, Series F, Series G, the first of the new upgrades to the Old Notes section which will be expanded to cover all the banks in due course.
The new Bank of Ireland content includes a date listing of 1918-1920 reduced size £1 notes.

EDIT: One drawback with page and directory name changes is that Forum to Site links break, and need to be updated, currently underway....

One of the drawbacks of the internet is that good source and reference links are apt to disappear at any time without any warning—rather annoying that. Also annoying is the Austrian Central bank website which doesn't want to work, and the British Museum which keeps deleting its website pages—I'm just not going to bother linking to any of its content in future.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Re: Irish Papermoney.com Changelog. Version 1.2.1 to v2.1.0 SLEP upgrade

Post by Mac »

Another major addition to the Bank of Ireland section. The section on Bank of Ireland notes Series H 1922-1928 Irish Free State has been completely revised, with the addition of a new introductory page, and lots of new images.

Also added is a date gallery, Series H Bank of Ireland date listing 1922-1928 with a picture of every available date of issue. This is mostly complete, with just five £5 note dates waiting to be found.

Updates to the 1918-1928 sections of the other banks will follow on steadily. The next one will be the National Bank.
Update tasks underway:
—National Bank sections on 1918-1927 notes currently being upgraded. Start: 01.07.17. 100% complete 12.10.17
—Agricultural and Commercial Bank of Ireland section currently being upgraded. Start: 01.07.17. 100% complete 03.09.17
—Provincial Bank of Ireland section currently being upgraded. Start: 01.07.17. 100% complete 01.08.17
—Bank of Ireland, northern Ireland 1929-1958 section upgrade underway. Start: 01.08.17. 100% complete 31.08.17
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Phase Four: 1% complete
Addition of new sections on the Private banks, generally pre-1835.
—Layout started. Start: 01.08.17
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Two major recent additions have been made.

The Northern Ireland section on The Bank of Ireland Series I (1929-1958) First Northern Ireland Issue has been expanded with the addition of a new introductory section, and pictures of all the note issues, and also a new section displaying an example of every date of issue of each of the denominations.

The Agricultural and Commercial Bank of Ireland section has been upgraded with the addition of many new examples of the bank’s notes, collected from the web over the past few years. Also added is a new section on Agricultural and Commercial Bank of Ireland Branches 1835-1839, with an image of a banknote from every branch of the bank, where available.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

The Old Notes section on National Bank of Ireland notes Series C 1918-1920, and National Bank Series D 1921-1927 (Irish Free State era) has been revised, with the addition of new introductory pages, and new images covering every known Type (by signature) and denomination (£1, £5, £10).

New sections displaying an image of every date of issue have been added for each Series, National Bank date listing 1918-1920, and National Bank date listing 1921-1927.

Several dates of some denominations remain to be pictured. There are also prefix gaps in the Series D £1 notes where the date is not known. Hopefully, the missing dates will be filled in over time.