Buyer beware of cleaned notes

General Topics on Irish banknotes • Shows • Auctions • Prices
ThePloughman
EF
EF

Re: Buyer beware of cleaned notes

Post by ThePloughman » 08 Oct 2017 22:56

I dont like cleaned or pressed notes, it's like polishing a coin, you can see the added scratches. It is adding damage to something, which then degrades it a bit more, that's what then reduces the value imho.

Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac » 17 Nov 2018 20:29

Hmm, I think we have reached a new low in terms of vandalism and stupidity with this note which has been bleached beyond any reasonable degree!

The unwashed note, pictured first, was recorded from ebay back in March 2018. When it was again seen on ebay in November, offered by a different seller, it had suffered a catastrophic encounter with some kind of bleaching agent. Curiously, this seller seems to have had a lot of washed notes.
They are destroying a lot of their own wealth with their bleach, it would appear!

ThePloughman
EF
EF

Post by ThePloughman » 19 Nov 2018 00:17

Gee, they sure junked that one. What a shame. Just about worth its face value now.

gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda » 19 Nov 2018 15:23

I was actually going to post something similar when I saw this on ebay - a new low indeed! :o
Like, why even bother putting it up for sale in that state?

No pity for the amount of money this idiot is costing themselves, the only sad thing here is that otherwise perfectly good notes are getting caught in the crossfire... and this guy has been at this for months/years which begs the question - how many times do you have to put your notes in a meat grinder before you realise, hey, nobody's buying these and I'm absolutely trashing them? What an absolute idiot.