This is a Forum / Blog about Irish Banknotes and paper money.
The forum aims to be a source of information for collectors of Irish notes, as well as presenting interesting and new information. • Join now and contribute.

Alert! New high quality forgeries have been seen of the 1943 Irish Half Crown View Thread

• Registered users can post in all Forums • Click for Forum Feed

Counterfeit or not?

A Forum for Discussion on the Lady Lavery A Series notes
Series B notes
VF
VF

Counterfeit or not?

Post#1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am

I have a heavily circulated Lady Lavery 100 pound dated 1975, and when I hold it up to the light, I can't seem to see a security thread, only a heavy fold. However, the watermark is still there. There doesn't appear to be a difference between the space where the security thread might be, and other heavily folded areas. Any solutions/ideas?
Attachments
WIN_20171127_19_00_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20171127_19_00_40_Pro.jpg (226.35 KiB) Viewed 85 times

gaelicyoda
VG
VG

Re: Counterfeit or not?

Post#2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 am

No, it certainly isn't counterfeit - the metal security thread was only added to the £1, £5, and £10 denominations so you won't see them on the £20, £50 or £100!

Mac
Governor
Governor

Re: Counterfeit or not?

Post#3 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:05 pm

@Series B notes

You need to have a look through the web site and read about the notes, visit the A Series Types page to familiarise yourself with the characteristics of each Type.

There were no security threads on the higher denomination notes. Also, there are no known instances of £50 or £100 contemporary forgeries. The only forgeries of these notes have been recent using colour copiers/printers, so called 'replicas'.

The note in th epicture is genuine.

Return to “Lavery • A Series Banknotes 1928—1977”