Interesting Lavery Errors

A Forum for Discussion on the Lady Lavery A Series notes
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Interesting Lavery Errors

Post by Mac »

Occasionally, minor errors are noticed on old notes that have already been in the collector pool for a while. I have come across two such notes recently, with minor print errors on them.

Below is a war code 10 Shilling note with a small portion of the face printing on the reverse (top left edge), caused by the previous note being folded whilst being printed. This left some ink residue on the bed of the printing press which was then picked up by the next note (this one pictured) resulting in some of the face printing on the reverse of the note, illustrated in the zoom image.

A minor print error on a 1943 Ten Shilling note

Enlargement showing a portion of the face printing on the reverse of the note.
The Governor
Rúnaí • Moderator
Rúnaí • Moderator

Re: Interesting Lavery Errors

Post by The Governor »

Now that is a nice find!
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

Here is an interesting serial number error on a Lady Lavery £10 note. Errors of this type appear to be rare.
Attachments
file_008.jpg
file_008.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 18837 times
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Here's an interesting error £1 note that turned up recently in an auction.
It is curious in that part of the left serial number is missing (otherwise printed normally), and the entire date and right hand serial number is missing. Possibly it was folded when being numbered. The pic is not good enough to see if there is a fold on the note.

DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

That is a intriguing error and difficult to explain. It would be interesting to see if any other notes with serial number close to this one turn up. The date should be 17.5.74 and the number appears to be 40K 88358?

Notes of this type have been seen without serial numbers but these are probably not errors but unissued remainders. Example attached.

gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda »

Mac wrote:Here's an interesting error £1 note that turned up recently in an auction.
It is curious in that part of the left serial number is missing (otherwise printed normally), and the entire date and right hand serial number is missing. Possibly it was folded when being numbered. The pic is not good enough to see if there is a fold on the note.
Well that's the strange thing, there didn't seem to be one...
Attachments
eror_rev_file.jpg
eror_rev_file.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 18052 times
error_face_file_010.jpg
error_face_file_010.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 18053 times
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

I think I might have worked this one out.

The error would occur if the banknote on top of this one had a fold on it, so it would end up with part of its left serial number missing, and this note would pick up the missing part of the number.
If both sheets were ejected together, then this one would be left as it appears now with part of a number only.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

That makes perfect sense. I will keep a look out for notes of the same prefix close in serial number to this one !
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Here is another £10 note missmatched serial number error, quite close to the one above. There are other examples known from this run of notes also.
Attachments
file_002.jpg
file_002.jpg (33.28 KiB) Viewed 18841 times
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

A 10 Shilling note error with date and serial numbers out of place.

DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

Wow, I have not seen such an extreme example of misplacement on a Lady Lavery note before !
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

There are some nice errors here. I figure Lavery errors are scarcer than later Series, as there were far fewer notes being printed then. I like the war code error note, it has probably been in many collections before being noticed as an error.
jimv50

Post by jimv50 »

£10 Lady Lavery twin notes found in my late father in laws effects. The notes had been mentioned by him when he was alive but never seen.
I can understand some printing errors where the paper has been folded or colours missed out on a run of notes, but how do two notes end up with the exact same details?

[img]
twin £10 notes red.jpg
twin £10 notes red.jpg (165.65 KiB) Viewed 18077 times
[/img
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

That's an interesting pair of notes!
I am not certain how this error might occur. One possibility is that this type of error could occur if the cylinders on the numbering machine got stuck for some reason. Both cylinders getting stuck would be unusual - missmatched serial numbers are a relatively common error, where one cylinder gets stuck for a time.
A pair of £1 notes with the same number have also been seen within the last couple of years.
gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda »

I do note the ink on the bottom one is far lighter... could it be that it was to be discarded or something?
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

I wonder could the error have something to do with stopping and starting of the printing process. Once printing resumed, the last serial number of the previous run was printed again?
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

Maybe the numbering got stuck and there were 100 of them with the same number?
Nice error to have.
opar7

Post by opar7 »

Here is a slipped serial number digit error on a Lady Lavery £20 note.Recently available on ebay.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

That's an interesting example. How much did it sell for?
LimerickNomad
Good
Good

Post by LimerickNomad »

Link to 24.3.76 on eBay please?