£1 northern bank

A Forum for Discussion on CBN, Ploughman notes
tim

£1 northern bank

Post by tim »

northern.jpg
northern.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Guys any ideas on a value for this note.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Re: £1 northern bank

Post by ThePloughman »

I rekon around $1,500. Used to be higher for a Northern, even with ink marks on it.
Plowmans have been having a hard time lately, with prices going low. Lots of notes in auctions.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

The Ploughman notes have suffered a bit on price recently but The Northern notes being rare are still sought after. Here is a link to the irishpapermoney site which provides a price guide.

https://www.irishpapermoney.com/forum/v ... f=23&t=121

The note looks to be fine or better but the ink marks would have some impact on the value.
tim

Post by tim »

Thanks for reply's i seen the guide but i wasn't sure with it having the ink marks. But i went for it anyway i think i did ok. :D
The Governor
Rúnaí • Moderator
Rúnaí • Moderator

Post by The Governor »

Curiously, Northern £1 notes seem to be a bit scarcer than £5 notes currently, with a greater number of £5 notes appearing in auctions in the recent past, mainly in Heritage and Spink, London.
I figure the bank will likely always be the rarest of the Plowman issues.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

Original pic seems to have died.
There are 2 Northern £1 notes and 1 £5 up in the DNW sale in London tomorrow. I guess we will get to see what they are worth then.
One of the £1 notes is very nice.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

I see that the higher grade Northern 1931 £1 did well at £3,000 hammer price. The lower grade note although decent did not sell and neither did the 1929 Knox £5. These are rare notes in nice grade but my own view is that the starting prices were just a little too high to get the ball rolling. I think the same applies for the Ploughman specimens that also failed to sell.