This is a Forum / Blog about Irish Banknotes and paper money.
The forum aims to be a source of information for collectors of Irish notes, as well as presenting interesting and new information. • Join now and contribute.

Alert! New high quality forgeries have been seen of the 1943 Irish Half Crown View Thread

• Registered users can post in all Forums • Click for Forum Feed

Ballykinlar tokens

Banknote issues preceding the Irish Government issues. Joint Stock Banks. Private Banks.
Mac
Governor
Governor

Ballykinlar tokens

Post#1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Ballykinlar Internment Camp Tokens 1919-1922

During the Irish war of independence the British military commenced the internment of known Irish nationalists at Ballykinlar. The Ballykinlar Internment Camp was located at Abercorn Barracks in present day Northern Ireland. At its peak the internment camp was home to several thousand internees. The camp was rather like a POW camp in that it had a certain autonomy over its own internal affairs. One of the manifestations of this was the issue of tokens by the internees for use as currency inside the camp.

The tokens are written in Irish, which translates as: “Irish imprisoned in Ballykinlar."

I came across some pics of these recently when I was looking for something else.
The section on Ballykinlar tokens in the main website will be upgraded with these larger pics shortly.

Meanwhile, here is a Ballykinlar One Shilling Token, face and reverse:

Mac
Governor
Governor

Re: Ballykinlar tokens

Post#2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:12 pm

I updated the Ballykinlar Token page of the main web site with new, bigger better pics.

ThePloughman
VF
VF

Post#3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:51 am

Uh nice. dunno anything about these. Are they rare? Nothin much out there on them

Mac
Governor
Governor

Post#4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Quite rare. They turn up occasionally in auction.

Mac
Governor
Governor

Post#5 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Incidently, I have heard suggestions that there is a 2/6 token, but I have never seen one, or a picture of one.
It is a denomination that would make sense though.

Return to “Old Notes General Topics”