This is a Forum / Blog about Irish Banknotes and paper money.
The forum aims to be a source of information for collectors of Irish notes, as well as presenting interesting and new information. • Join now and contribute.

Alert! New high quality forgeries have been seen of the 1943 Irish Half Crown View Thread

• Registered users can post in all Forums • Click for Forum Feed

Series B 100 Pound, Granuaile design?

A Forum for Discussion on B Series notes
Vellakare

Series B 100 Pound, Granuaile design?

Post#1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:04 am

The missing link with Series B is the 100 Pound note. I heard that the proposal was to have Granuaile on the B Series 100, but does Servicon or the Central Bank ever produce a 'pattern' design?

Mac
Governor
Governor

Re: Series B 100 Pound, Granuaile design?

Post#2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 am

You are correct about the design.

A pattern was done by Servicon, but the Central Bank had not ordered a design for the note, so as far as I know no proper proofs were printed. I was told back around 1994 that the Central Bank does not have any copies of the design.

Pre=production designs do exist—I seem to remember seeing a picture of one a long time ago, but it may have been the AIB £100 note of the day—but despite my best efforts, i have never been able to track one down.

The note designs will turn up eventually, these things always do.

Vellakare

Post#3 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:09 pm

It would not surprise me if you mistook the AIB/Provincial Bank note as being it, because to this day, they are more Irish in appearance than any other currency in the country, and were more Irish in design, tradition and style than even their Southern counterparts.

With a bit of messing around, we can speculate on its appearance.

First, all the series B notes featured a calligraphic background.

Second, it would have a small face full length portrait. the Carolan 50 gives a clue.

Third, the rear, maps and sailing ships.

Colour. It will have to contrast to the 50 to avoid confusion. It won't be Red, likely Turquoise.

I'll get a new laptop and spend a few hours working out the design. If anything it will be relaxing.

Mac
Governor
Governor

Post#4 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Hmm, the predominant colours used on B Series were:

£1 • Green
£5 • Orange
£10 • Red
£20 • Blue
£50 • Brown

Taking precedent (A Series, and Ploughman) that leaves Purple as the main unused colour, so I'd go for it as being the main colour of the £100.

Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post#5 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Actually, I'd suspect yellow as the colour, because the 10 pound is more purple than red. Yellow has not been used on any Irish notes, though, so this theory may be a tad unrealistic.

Or maybe it would be a less purplish red. You never know...

Vellakare

Post#6 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 am

I read on Wikipedia that it was to be in Mauve, with the Galtee mountains (A map) presumably, as the dominant rear element.

Whatever it is, the mid 1980's recession rendered the need for a 100 Pound note redundant. Even 50's were relatively scarce until the series C note emerged in 1995, and with the economic boom years, the 50 became much more heavily used.

Return to “Celtic • B Series Banknotes 1976—1993”