First Trust Bank to cease issuing

Vellakare
Fine
Fine

First Trust Bank to cease issuing

Post by Vellakare »

They were never the most enthusiastic of issuers in the first place, though their notes remained the most 'Irish' in generic appearance at the end.

First Trust Banknote announcement
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Re: First Trust Bank to cease issuing

Post by Mac »

That's quite a big step, terminating the note issue after (counts fingers for a moment) 198 years!

I wonder if it is connected to Brexit and/or AIB's bailout.

Watch out for those final dates of issue people, they may sneak in a short printage last date and maybe a replacement too.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

Sad to see the end of a long tradition of banknote issue going right back to The Provincial Bank in the early 19th Century. I wonder if the pressure to introduce polymer notes was an additional factor leading to this decision?
Vellakare
Fine
Fine

Post by Vellakare »

I'd definitely suspect it was down to the cost and pressure to introduce Polymers. Like I said - they were not the most enthusiastic issuing authority, being amongst the first to discontinue issuing 1 and 5 Pound notes.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

DNW recently held a Charity Sale of items from the AIB Archive. There were lots of interesting banknote related items including uncut sheets, test prints, proofs, specimens and issued notes.

The 1993 £50 First Trust Bank proof attached is a date previously unknown for this note type. The £100 First Trust Test Print is from a printer’s proof booklet. These items give some insights into the design and production process employed for these banknotes.
Attachments
First Trust £50 Proof 1st July 1993 McElroy.jpg
First Trust £50 Proof 1st July 1993 McElroy.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 10641 times
First Trust £100 Test Print 1st July 1993 McElroy.jpg
First Trust £100 Test Print 1st July 1993 McElroy.jpg (172.06 KiB) Viewed 10641 times
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

These production proofs do give a very interesting insight into the manufacturing process of the banknotes.
I would guess that putting non-standard issue dates on proof notes is possibly a security measure.