Catalogue values vs actual prices

General Topics on Irish banknotes • Shows • Auctions • Prices
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Re: Where can I value my notes?

Post by Series B notes »

Mac, in the catalogue of note valuations, it says a one pound note from 1984 in UNC is worth 20 euro, and the minimum UNC price is 17 euro. Is the catalogue incorrect?

That is, minimum UNC price for all dates is 17 euro.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Catalogue values vs actual prices

Post by Mac »

Those prices are a bit high. Which catalogue are you using?

Are the catalogues accurate then, and how accurate are they?
When a glut of something turns up, prices fall. When items are thin on the ground prices then to rise.
Discuss :)
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Re: Catalogue values vs actual prices

Post by Series B notes »

I am using "Standard Catalogue Of World Paper Money". Prices in it are in USD.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

SCWPM is a good general catalogue for world notes, and the Irish section has been improved a lot over the past few editions. All catalogue valuations are approximate guidelines.

It would be great if I could get 17 Euro for a 1989 £1 note! In practice, as far as I can tell, they sell for less than that currently.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

All the US world note dealers use Standard Catalog, cause it covers the whole world in one, er 3 volumes! Used to be one volume. It's ok, but if you're serious about a country, you need a specialized catalog.

One pound notes in UNC are quite popular on eBay, selling out at 20 USD apiece.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

What's more, do the catalogue prices indicate the true scarcity of replacement B series 50 pound notes in UNC? I doubt it. Only 2300 euro for 1982!
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Series B notes wrote:What's more, do the catalogue prices indicate the true scarcity of replacement B series 50 pound notes in UNC? I doubt it. Only 2300 euro for 1982!
You're correct there. The catalogue values are based on what people are willing to pay for notes, as tested in auctions (mostly), rather than being a reflection of their rarity. Many items are very undervalued considering their rarity. 1982 B Series £50 KKK replacements are very rare indeed, and well undervalued. Perhaps not enough examples have turned up to generate an active market. It wold be interesting to see what one would fetch in a good numismatic auction.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

I once saw a gVF grade KKK 1982 £50 on a dealer's list, two in sequence, about 20 years ago. I was way too slow to get one! Never seen another on offer.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

According to SCWPM, a Series B 10 pound note is always worth at least 35 euro in your average VF grade. True or not?

That is, the most common signature (M.F. Doyle and S.P. Cromien) is worth 35 euro in average VF grade, according to SCWPM. Prices work their way up from there.
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Series B notes wrote:According to SCWPM, a Series B 10 pound note is always worth at least 35 euro in your average VF grade. True or not?
Only if someone is willing to pay that for one. Catalogues are a general guide to prices.
The Governor
Rúnaí • Moderator
Rúnaí • Moderator

Post by The Governor »

I find auctions tend to be a good place to see how prices are trending. Prices outside of Ireland can be higher simply because of a lack of supply of certain notes which might be easy to get in Ireland.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

The Governor wrote: Prices outside of Ireland can be higher simply because of a lack of supply of certain notes which might be easy to get in Ireland.
That would explain why these clowns charge ridiculous prices here in Canada.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

And in the US.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

@ThePloughman,
Do you think SCWPM's valuations for notes are generally what dealers charge? I have not looked into this.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Post by ThePloughman »

Some dealers charge more than the catalog value. SCWPM is the reference used by all the world note dealers in the US.
The Irish section in it is pretty good now, it has had a lot of revision over the past few editions, used to have lots of mistakes.
Series B notes
Fine
Fine

Post by Series B notes »

In your opinion, would you say SCWPM is more of a good price guide for selling notes, or buying them?