Irish Currency collection catalogue

General Topics on Irish banknotes • Shows • Auctions • Prices
billyf1
Fine
Fine

Irish Currency collection catalogue

Post by billyf1 »

Hey guys, I'm a part time web developer, and was looking to see if there'd be an appetite for a website for cataloguing your collections?

This site would be Irish Currency only, to begin with, and if it takes off, I could implement it for other nations.

The basic functionality would involve people creating an account, and adding notes to their collections,
#1 to have an accurate representation of their collections in 1 place,
#2 a place to upload imagery of their notes,
#3 a place to see where there might be gaps in their collection,
and finally #4, a place where deals could be struck with other members to trade/sell notes.

I have an implementation of this already up and running for my collection, but would need a lot of work to continue, so I would need to garner some interest before I take the time to develop further.

Thanks,

Bill
DOC
UNC
UNC

Re: Irish Currency collection catalogue

Post by DOC »

Interesting idea and could be the basis for collectors to buy, sell or swap notes of choice. However, I doubt that collectors would wish to display their entire collection online in this manner. Then again, I may be just too old school when it comes to harnessing new technology ;)
billyf1
Fine
Fine

Post by billyf1 »

Security is always my top priority, and there'd be ways to have your own usernames (anonymous or otherwise). I guess escrow could be an option for those who have large collections and worried about their identities being known etc... I do find quite a bit of reluctance to technology in my everyday life, but I'm sure there could be a nice balance here to be had. I have quite the collection myself, and wouldn't like my own identity being linked to that... I may as well get working on it, and see how it pans out.
gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda »

Interesting idea, I had considered doing something similar myself a while back but never did.
What technologies are you using? Is it cloud based or deployed locally?
billyf1
Fine
Fine

Post by billyf1 »

@gaelicyoda, Imagery can be taken with a phone, scanner and uploaded to the website. I have a local version working away right now, but not all of the features implemented. Could be an opportunity for Mac to put up guide prices, but have an opt-in charge to display those prices. Would be possible to save on publishing costs etc. Just food for thought.
gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda »

Hey @billyf1, just wondering after all this time... how did you get on here? Did you end up getting any traction with your implementation?