The first euros: The creation and issue of the first euro banknotes and the road to the Europa series

Anything not related to Irish paper money. Other Banknotes • Coins • Medals • General Stuff
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

The first euros: The creation and issue of the first euro banknotes and the road to the Europa series

Post by Mac »

A pdf of a book produced by the Bank of Finland is available from its website.

The book covers the story of the Euro banknotes from the start of the project up to the introduction of the second series.
There are lots of illustrations. Well worth a read for anyone who is interested in the story of the Euro.
Available in Finnish and in English.

English: The first euros: The creation and issue of the first euro banknotes and the road to the Europa series
Suomi: Ensimmäiset eurot: Eurosetelisarjan synty, liikkeeseenlasku ja ensi vuosikymmen
DOC
UNC
UNC

Re: The first euros: The creation and issue of the first euro banknotes and the road to the Europa series

Post by DOC »

This is an excellent overview of the euro banknote project and the huge commitment required to bring it to fruition. However, it appears that after a good start, the currency has not really connected with the general public. The introduction of the Europa Series and the trend to a more generic design has further worsened matters. Finland no longer prints its own euro notes and now with the absence of national identifier, there are no longer euro banknotes identifiable as Finnish. Unfortunately, it seems that Ireland is set to follow a similar course.
ThePloughman
UNC
UNC

Re: The first euros: The creation and issue of the first euro banknotes and the road to the Europa series

Post by ThePloughman »

Totally not into the Euros. They are even less exciting than the current US currency (that's why I collect foreign paper, I guess)
Still a good book.
Vellakare
Fine
Fine

Post by Vellakare »

I disliked the first series. The second series however has a bit more thought in it, and aesthetically is much more pleasing.

I would prefer if they had a portrait of some kind, maybe in a future series place Wim Duisenberg on the notes, as he is the first Governor of the European Central Bank.

Yes - The Euro is bland, but at least its better than the American currency in terms of appearance.
DOC
UNC
UNC

Post by DOC »

Yes, I think adding a portrait to the design would add interest. Wim Duisenburg would be a good choice.

A letter overprint for each country something like the ETO codes on Irish notes would add further interest. With the 25th anniversary fast approaching in 2027, a new design should be considered soon :)
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

Yes, the last of the new series notes are announced: 100, and 200 Euro.
Here's a nice holothing showing the europa series.

Hmm, they may need to redesign the notes again soon, to remove Britain from the map onthe reverse... I hope they don't decapitate Ireland while they are at it!
gaelicyoda
Fine
Fine

Post by gaelicyoda »

I'm still holding out hope that sense will ultimately prevail on that one... :D
Mac
Taoiseach • Admin
Taoiseach • Admin

Post by Mac »

It'll go to the wire...